Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Memories

People often say that memories are forever. Are they, really? As time goes on, we seem to struggle to remember things we want to remember, have a hard time forgetting things we don't want to remember, lose the details of what we do remember, and so on. And, forever is a long time. I don't think any of our memories will has that long.

This story about Memory and Forgetting from the WNYC's RadioLab argues that we keep making new memories whenever we remember a past event. In that story, the most interesting part is that they have figured out how to erase a particular memory. When I first saw the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" I thought it was just crazy-talk. But then, this RadioLab podcast made me rent that movie again. Knowing that erasing memories, at least in theory in mice, is possible gave a whole new perspective to the movie. Knowing that it is possible to selectively erase memories, you wonder if there's something you'd want to erase ... and, if there are other people who'd want to erase any and all memories of you! Interesting thought experiments, those two are.

Apparently, it is also quite easy to make yourself remember things the way you want to remember. Hmm ... makes you wonder if all the things you remember are real or made-up. I guess, this is why they say that "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be." Yeah, yeah, that's the title of a book by some old-time Frensh actress (or something like that) but I remember that quote from the 80's futuristic TV show Max Headroom which was way ahead of its time. It had a great plot-line and tackled issues ahead of its time and had Amanda Pays with that great English accent. Hmm... memories. At least, that's how I remember it.

But, I'm sure when I watch the DVD releases, I'll be disappointed thinking that the show isn't half as good as I remember it. That's always how it is. Whenever I go back to Los Angeles, I always tell myself that I remember LA as a much better place back in the 80s. Proving, I guess, that you remember things the way you want to remember. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

No comments: